Middle School Mathematics Teacher
The Legacy Academy is a middle school, with a founding cohort of 60, 6th graders in August 2018. The school will be located in Downtown San Jose. The school will serve students in Santa Clara County who exhibit a need for a responsive education with behavioral health awareness:
- Students who have been involved in juvenile justice or foster care systems.
- Students who have been suspended or expelled from a previous school due to significant behavioral problems.
- Students who have been identified as showing signs of unsuccessful academics and/or behavioral issues at school or within their community.
It is with a comprehensive school design that The Legacy Academy will provide students with:
- Small classrooms with a ratio of 20:3, which includes a certified teacher and two (2) behavioral specialists.
- Personalized learning to develop academic skills.
- Extended school day to include electives in Life Skills, the Arts, Physical Education, and Civic Engagement.
Classroom teachers will co-teach with two (2) behavioral health specialists from Seneca, an innovative leader in the provision of unconditional care through a comprehensive continuum of school, community-based and family-focused services for children and families. This partnership will enhance academic and behavioral health programming. The Legacy Academy is seeking a team-oriented, dedicated, student centered teacher looking to grow as an educator and mentor middle school students. Candidates should be willing to work past the school day and go the extra mile to support all students. Those applying should have experience in the elementary and/or middle school setting using a variety of teaching strategies to help reach all students.
Middle school Mathematics teachers are expected to implement a rigorous student-centered curriculum and facilitate learning through strong classroom lessons.
Mathematics teachers will work to create a blended learning environment using online mathematics platforms to address response to intervention. They will be responsible for implementing EngageNY Mathematics curriculum. They must also examine and report student learning and progress through regular assessments. The teacher must also maintain student academic and behavioral growth, and other data and are expected to participate in ongoing professional development and stay informed about developments in their field.
Demonstrates sophisticated understanding and ability to apply theories of:
- Student growth and development
- Data-informed instruction
- Group process, communications, and organizational planning
- Job-embedded technologies
- Differentiated instructional strategies for struggling students
- Trauma-informed pedagogy
- Standardized, authentic, observational, and alternative assessments
Understands and can support the instructional needs of:
- English Language learners at all stages of English acquisition
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged students
- Special Education students
- Students of various languages and cultures so as to reduce the achievement gap and create a warm and respectful environment for learning.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Possession of a valid internship, preliminary, or clear California Teaching
- Desire to teach in an urban school environment
- Confident in managing student behavior
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to change easily
- Demonstrated success working with students from educationally underserved areas
- Provide employment eligibility verification (Form I-9), pass background check through DOJ and FBI, and provide proof of recent Tuberculosis clearance
- Copies of Valid California teaching credential/certificate (K-8 multiple subject credential or single subject in Mathematics)
- CBEST scores
- Copies of College/University Transcripts (originals required only if hired)
- NCLB Compliant
A personal statement/letter of introduction, not to exceed two double-spaced, typewritten pages describing your:
Experience with students
Most significant event in your teaching career
Reason for interest in the position for which you are applying
Qualifications and how you meet the School’s Mission
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (one from a supervisor) dated within the last 12 months.
Please email complete applications to the Founding Principal, Danette T. Sokacich, at email@example.com.